Sunday, August 10, 2008

Philma

Only someone not particularly acquainted with the English way of life would think that the most polarising English dichotomy is Labour vs. Conservative. If you live in England for any amount of time, it will soon become apparent that two other items for discussion are more likely to inflame the spirits of the indigenous population: IKEA and Marmite.



IKEA is loved and hated with peculiar passion, with plenty of people loving its associations with early student days, when a trip was a necessity prior to being shipped to university, or to first setting up home as a couple, when even the purchase of the most pointless piece of oil cloth had to be pondered upon as a pair. Others hate the places in principle and would not be seen dead (or indeed alive) in them if they were paid to do so. I harbour no strong feelings either way about IKEA, but I will go as far as to say that, while not entirely disliking the place in principle, I can think of another ten stores off the top of my head where I would prefer to spend one hour or less of my time. Enough said.

As for Marmite, much as the ‘love it or hate it’ slogan seems as old as Marmite itself, I have yet to find someone that sits on the ‘hate it’ bench. I love Marmite and try to put it everywhere. I drop it in soup when handfuls of sea salt do not cut it (or I’ve run out of soy sauce) and I absolutely love to create hybrid spreads with it. And this is what Philma is. Philma is a combination of Philadelphia cheese and Marmite, two parts of cheese to one of Marmite. Combine well and spread on toast or stick it in a sarnie. This is particularly good with sliced tomatoes in ciabatta bread. In fact, if you will excuse me...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...