Sunday, January 18, 2009

Tarragon Mustard Salad

I’ve made no mystery of my liking of mustard in all of its declensions. American, English, French, seeded or seedless, creamy and delicately yellow or thin and speckled, I like all versions I’ve tried so far. Now I’ve found a peculiar new one I had never seen before, a little jar of green fabulousness that I would have never put down as mustard, for when I seek mustard, I look for yellow of course. Make a dressing with it and use it for a partly-raw salad that offers interesting changes in textures beneath the grassy heat.


Salad for one:

3 tbsps of boiled borlotti beans
1 stick of celery
1 peeled carrot
1 tbsp of capers
4 very large olives
2 tbsp plain low-fat yogurt
1 tsp tarragon mustard
a splash of soy sauce

Prepare the dressing by mixing the yogurt, mustard and soy sauce. Go easy on the soy sauce; you want it to slightly salt the yogurt and mustard, not to overpower it in the way it does when drizzled over crisp rolls. Set aside.

Cut the carrot and celery stick into small chunks and mix with the olives, capers and borlotti beans. Ideally, the beans should have been freshly boiled on the day, but if you want to cut the hassle by using tinned beans, I am gonna cut you some slack on this one occasion. Drizzle the dressing over the salad and eat.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...