Friday, June 6, 2008

A Change Or A Rest

They say that a change is as good as a rest. In principle, I agree. When I finish on one project and move to another straight away it all feels new for long enough to delude myself that I may actually have, not simply a new role, but a new job. I am not sure, however, that change, rest and holiday, or even weekend away, are well-suited to one another. I recently heard from a friend who went to Florida with his kids. They did so much in so many days in so many places, that now he is totally knackered and needs a few days off work to recover. Today has been packed with lousy weather, food, shopping, food, food, shopping, food and food. And we still have to get to dinner. I cannot believe only a couple of weeks ago I was talking about my tight pants. I need to get on track, I need to get on track, I need to get on track. But I'll do that after this weekend. I'll tell you what, London has got so much more than just eating and flitting from store to store. Wasn't it Samuel Johnson who once wrote that it is impossible to get bored of London because London has got everything that life has to offer? I wish it were my quote (I also wish that this one were my quote: 'In matters of grave importance, style, not sincerity is the vital thing'). Maybe I can appropriate myself of it easily enough, as an epitaph. And maybe I should get the AmEx logo added at the bottom, just to be fair to what is my Muse when it comes to lifting my spirits.



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...