Monday, July 27, 2009

A Cooking First

I may not be a chef, but I am well-versed in the kitchen, especially insofar as baking is concerned. I can do multi-layered birthday cakes with ease and I can work with cocoa without breaking into a sweat, not even when alcohol is thrown into the mix at melting point.

Yet, there is one thing that I have never been able to do, and I think I may have mentioned this gripe of mine before: an omelette. Friends and family have always laughed at this claim but I kid you not, every time I tried for an omelette, I ended up with scrambled eggs. I don’t even know what the problem was and, at this point, I do not even care any longer because today I experienced my first omelette, and it seems only appropriate to celebrate on here.



one red chilli
a handful of chives
two large eggs
a tablespoon of cumin seeds
a splash of olive oil
a splash of milk
salt

I do not really need to give you a procedure, as everyone (bar me, up until lunchtime today) knows how to make an omelette. The only thing I need to specify is that the cut chilli, chives and spoon of cumin seeds should fry on low heat on their own before you add the eggs mixed with milk and salt.

I would suggest to serve this with a tablespoon or so of tsatziki or cooling Greek yogurt and, for the love of God, do not make this for anyone who isn’t well-used to eating spicy foods. A whole chilli (with seeds) and a teaspoon of fried cumin seeds can send a spicy virgin to the A&E. You’ve been warned...!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...