Sunday, March 29, 2009

First For Spring Frittata

When the weather changes, or tries to, and the days get longer and longer, unfortunately, I always think of frittatas and courgettes, preferably together. It may come as a surprise to some, seeing that I can easily whip out six-layered birthday cakes with filling and piped cream, but I cannot make a decent omelet. And frittata would land me in the same broken place, where it not for the oven. I know that I shouldn't call it a frittata if I don't fry it but, really, I do, it just all happens in the oven so that I do not have to flip anything over anything and I can eat from a plate and not the stove.



4 thin courgettes (zucchini are best really, as always)
1 medium potato
1 tablespoon of mustard
6 medium eggs
salt
pepper
olive oil
2 slices of strong cheddar, broken in pieces
shards of Parmesan

Warm the oven at 220C. Wash and cut the courgettes lengthwise, in pieces about one inch long. Peel and cut the potato in small pieces and put in a small oven tray; mine is about 23 cm long and 15 wide. Pour a couple of glugs of olive oil, but go easy on this, as courgettes can become rather slimy when over-oiled. Shake the oven tray to coat well, crack some salt and pepper on top, drop the cheddar in and place in the oven for a good 20 minutes.

As that is going, break your eggs in a suitable container, add the mustard, salt to taste (not too much if I may say, as you have already put some on the veggies) and a splash of milk. Whip lightly with a fork and pour over the veggies once your 20 or so minutes are up. Add the broken Parmesan on top and place back in the oven for about 10 minutes or until you're satisfied that the eggs have solidified and are properly cooked.

Now everyone knows that you really ought to leave a frittata for the day after you make it, as its great beauty and versatility is the acquisition of a symphony of tastes and just the right texture many hours after you've flipped it out of your pan (or indeed tray). I can never do this; I am usually compelled to have a slice right away. Go ahead if you must, but try and refrigerate the rest for another time. It is fantastic to take to work and eat cold and even better when used as filling for a sarnie, preferably in very crusty bread.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...