Monday, February 2, 2009

Groundhog Day 2009

Today it’s one of my favourite days of the year, the one that I love to celebrate by watching Groundhog Day. Did you know that Phil predicted another six weeks of winter early this morning? Same as last year, when he was very nearly spot-on. In my part of the world we had longer than an extra six weeks of winter. There was snow on the ground at the beginning of April people!



And today was a very appropriate Groundhog Day for the whole of England, as snow came down thick and fast from the deepest south to the north. Of course I am a bit peculiar about snow as I am about winter; there is never enough and it is never cold enough and, really, once you’ve been to North America in the depths of winter and worn tights, long johns, thermals, pants and boots and that’s on your legs only, well my friend, you need more than three inches of snow and a gust of +1C breeze to get excited.



But a lot of people had a good time and although I cannot say to share the cataclysmic fears of apocalyptic proportions as depicted by the news (honestly, arctic conditions? I mean, do they even know where the arctic is?), sitting on the sofa, toying with my new chapter and starting a new cashmere scarf made me feel like I don’t have a care in the world. Snow has this effect on people, let’s hope it sticks around, preferably for longer than six weeks.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...