Monday, December 8, 2008

Linzer Torte from Ripailles

Remember when I told you I got Ripailles? It’s a book as good as it looks and it looks very, very good. My first attempt from this tome was a Linzer Torte, or jam tart, something I’ve never done before, mainly because, when I decide to get baking, I think that only chocolate is worth the effort. But then I tried this little tart today and it too is worth it. It’s especially good because the shortcrust pastry recipe, also from the same book, calls for cinnamon and the extra cinnamon added as below makes this tart a suitably Christmassy one without even trying.


You’ll need:

200g rich shortcrust pastry
50g ground almonds
4 tsps ground cinnamon
100g jam (I used the superb Little Scarlet by Tiptree)

Mix the pastry dough with the cinnamon and almonds.

Roll out two-thirds of the dough to make a tart base and cover with the jam.

Roll out the remaining dough, cut into 1 cm wide strips and lay them over the tart in a lattice pattern.

Bake for 20 minutes at 180C; the jam must be starting to caramelise.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...